My Sinclair Connections.

Hi,
I joined the Sinclair Discussion Group yesterday and in compliance with your
'rules', I am writing to outline my Sinclair connections.

Although having lived in France for the last 25 years, I am New Zealand born.
My Great-grandfather Peter Sinclair CLARK, emigrated to New Zealand in the
early 1860s. He was a cooper from Lybster in Caithness and his father,
Sinclair Clark owned a fishing boat and fished out of Lybster.
Sinclair Clark's wife was Catherine SINCLAIR of Dunbeath. Catherine and
Sinclair's handsome grave is in Clyth Cemetary and is located right next to
the Clyth 'standing' stone.

I have another Sinclair connection from Shetland. The above mentioned Peter
Clark met and married in New Zealand one Mary RUSSELL (Rusland), from
Scalloway, Shetland. Her Paternal Grandmother was one Anne SCOTT whose mother
(co-incidentally) was also a Catherine SINCLAIR.

There is an interesting reference to this Scott family in Sir Walter Scott's
little book "The Voyage of the Pharos", which was written in diary form when
he sailed around the North and West of Scotland in 1814 with Robert
Stevenson, designer of Bell Rock Lighthouse and Grandfather to RLS.

Although our Sinclair connection came through the maternal lines, the family
has (at last count) approximately nine boys, including my Grandson, with
Sinclair as a Christian name. (Lest we forget!)

In my family research, I have not been able to establish why my Great-great
Grandfather (born 1800), had Sinclair as a Christian name. I have concluded
that perhaps he was given it in honour of Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster, who
did so much for the community of Lybster in the late 1700s.

Should you require further details such as dates etc, I would be happy to
provide these.

Sincerely,
Antonia Goodland-Clark.