Calendars

It seems not only should we question all the information we get over the
internet but even the old reliable Calendar information that should be
easily copied year after year correctly.....or is it.

I have a calendar put out by "National Parks Conservation Assoc."  which
says that Groundhogs day is Feb. 6th.  Now either Punxsatawney Phil was
awakened 4 days too early or else this calendar is wrong.  (for our cousins
across the seas and borders, this is an amusing commercialized event that
supposedly tells the anticipated arrival of Spring-there are some cute
groundhog pictures on these webpages)

The legend of Groundhog Day is based on an old Scottish couplet: "If
Candlemas Day is bright and clear, there'll be two winters in the year."
(so Candlemas Day is Feb. 2???-what is its meaning?)
http://www.stormfax.com/ghogday.htm

this is cute also
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/

Also my Veterans of Foreign Wars of US has the official end of WWII as
December 31, 1946.   I called a local chapter and learned that that date is
probably, in reality, the ending date for issuance of a medal covering WWII.
He is sending me a fact sheet on all of this which is beginning to be more
complicated than I ever dreamed.  But if people of a later generation were
to look at this Dec. 31, 1946 date without understanding its link to medal
issuance (and people of any generation) might think that the war had
continued another 16 months.

Laurel