Re: Language

Dear Lena:
Bingo! right on!  Yes!
This is the language referred to as "Inglis" and although Niven refers to it
as a bastardized version of English, my reading tells me that what was
spoken in England and Lowland Scotland at this time was roughly the same and
that it was the Southern English that went through dramatic changes such as
"the great vowel" shift circa 1700 and that what Scots speak today is closer
to the 'original' than is received BBC prounounciation whatever our
pleasures may presently be for hearing our language spoken.
Source: "Scots, The Mither Tongue" Billy Kay, Grafton Books, London 1986.

Again,
Rory in Toronto