Thanks, John & Auch

John, thanks for the info - I really was perplexed not only
because I received no answer to my question but because I
could not find any trace of it in my own records.

Wouldn't yoy know - I zinged off a letter to Niven immediately
prior to receiving your explanation in which I lamented the
loss of the message and asked him about Auch among other things.

The message is repeated below and I hope it gets off this time
but I want to ask if this little box that I post my message in
can be increased in size or can the space provided be word wrapped?

I believe that maybe someone else asked you the same thing
(I think maybe I saw that in my perusal of the archives last night.

The previous letter which didn't get there: -

Subject: Auch
I had a ggggrandmother by the name of Isabella Auchmuty,
born April 3, 1772 - her father was Captain Samuel Auchmuty.

Isabella was the wife of my ggggrandfather Daniel St. Clair
who had come from Scotland to America at the age of 12 in
1771.
In numerous places including a recent message on this list I
have noticed the Auch used as a prefix to many names.

Does anyone know if the Auch has any special significance?

Anything else that I know of Samuel is that he was married
to a Sarah Miller.

Isabella & Daniel had 9 children - Daniel was a Drummer in
the American Revolution, Isabella received a widows pension
in 1850 of $108.00 per annum; she died at the age of 87 in
1859.

Last night I perused the 'List'archives and discovered that
this Daniel/Isabella genealogy has already been posted.  Ok,
so if any one is interested I am one of the descendents.

Thanx,  Neil