Re: A "Rood" Question

At 22:38 07/01/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Kevin:
>Without looking it up... and my memory of old English (which was the
>language only slightly modified that became lowland Scots)  'rood' has the
>same entymology as modern 'reed'  only it usually means 'tree' in old
>English.   The country gospel song "Tramp on the Street" has the line "Jesus
>He died on Calvary's Tree"
>It is not a stretch to see that Rood or Holy Rood becomes Holy Tree.  There
>is a great old Anglo-Saxon poem called "the Dream of the Rood" in which a
>man dreams of the pain experienced by the tree that became the cross upon
>which Jesus was crucified.  It is very compelling and was a "gestalt"  thing
>1200 years before Frtiz Perls and Esalon.
>

>A pantler is the officer of a household who is in charge of the pantry.
>Later it became panter or baker.
>

>aye,
>Rory

The "Holy Rood" = the "Holy Cross" which was part of the true cross which
Margaret brought to Scotland  from Hungary.  It was sometimes known
as the "Black Rood" because of its dark colour.  This is emphasised in the
copy which now stands above the stairs leading to the crypt in Rosslyn
Chapel.  The piece of oak wood which was used to make the replica was known
be  over 1,000 years old.

Niven