An American Thanksgiving

As Thanksgiving approaches, I think of my mother's family, the Rathbones, who
came to America from the Liverpool area in 1942. This was just 22 years after
the Mayflower voyage. The Rathbones went on the settle Block Island and
Newport in Rhode Island. How I wish that property was still in family hands.

Those pilgrims were much in debt to the local Indians who taught them how to
grow corn and supplemented them through the first winter. It makes you think
about Prince Henry and his encounter with the natives on his voyage.

I hope all of my American cousins make their trips safely on this holiday
weekend. To my cousins from the far reaches of the globe, I'll drink one for
you too!

Donald Sinclair (Indianapolis)