Highland Mary

Hi folks,
I'm almost as passionate about auction sales as I am about geneology.
Let me tell you about my little "find".

Its a relief hand carving of a woman, painted in blue dress, with a
tartan scarf.  I suppose you would classify it as "folkart", but it is
extremely well done.  There is a label at the bottom saying "Highland
Mary".  The artist signed the back, and dated it 1934.

I have a copy of Robbie Burns' songs and poems, and sure enough, he
wrote a poem
titled Highland Mary.  However, Sandy thinks he read a true story about
a Scottish woman by that name, but can't remember where, or what it was
about.

Do any of you Scots historians know of any other Highland Mary?

Many thanks,
Toni S.