Re: The Highlander

At 07:23 05/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I just received "The Highlander" Nov/Dec 200 issue.
>There are two articles that may be of interest to my cousins.
>1. An introduction to the old statistical account of Scotland (1791-1799).
>The article, written by Maisie Steven, talks about the work of our Sir John
>Sinclair of Ubster with a brief overview of how the information was gathered
>and what type of information one can find in it.
>
>2. The Scandinavian Connection, written by Bowen Pearse. Is an account of the
>August 1612 violence that befell Georg Sinklar at Kringelen. It states there
>is a painting titled "The Landing of Sinclaire in Romsdal" in the National
>Gallery in Oslo.
>
>Donald Sinclair (Indianapolis)

A painting of "The Landing of George Sinclair at Romsdhal" was presented to
our Chief  by Jon Selfors when we visited Norway last year as guests of the
Pillarguri Committee.  It now hangs at Noss Head.

It may be a copy of the one in the National Gallery in Oslo.  If so, it has
been
beautifully executed and was gratefully received.

Colonel George Sinclair is a legend in Norway just as Major Malcolm Sinclair
is a legend in Sweden.  We are currently in discussion with the Swedish Embassy
in Warsaw as we are anxious for the monument to Major Malcolm Sinclair to
be restored.  It is situated at Grunsberg (now called Zielona Gora) in Poland
where he was  murdered by the Russians in 1739  My article called "A Murder
Most
Foul" explains the hoary details. of that particular piece of butchery.

Since then, I have  approached the British Library in London for a copy of
a letter
written by Czarina of Russia (in which she made a vain attempt to 'excuse' the
murder of Major Sinclair) which they have in their archives.  This
information was
dug out by Milamba, that indefatigable sleuth  in far off Australia, who is
making
us all sit up and pay attention to the veritable bounty of information
which is held
by various libraries on our own doorstep.

We all need a kick in the butt occasionally.  If Roland St Clair could
write that
masterpiece, "The St Clairs of the Isles", in far off New Zealand, how much
more
should we (on our own home ground) be able to unearth about our amazing family?
It is all lying there.  Reams of it.  Unfortunately much of it is
indecipherable (like
Chaucer's work which had been copied and illuminated at Rosslyn and which I
retrieved from the Bodleian Library) but,  given time, it will be
done.  Indeed, it
must be done.

Niven Sinclair