Re: Hello from a new member!

At 20:49 05/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
Thank you for accepting my request to join the Sinclair mailing list.  :o)

In searching my surname of "Snody" (which until just a few generations ago
was spelled "Snoddy"), I learned that  my surname is a sept of the Clan
Sinclair.

My ancestors are Ulster Scots, and from what I have learned my family moved
to northern Ireland from Scotland in about 1650, then to Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania about 1735, then to Virginia, then North Carolina  where I now
live.

My ancestors help settle this part of northwest  North Carolina, and up
until the last fifteen years or so, most of the families in the area were of
Scots-Irish descent.

I am very curious to learn how the surname "Snoddy" is affiliated with the
Clan Sinclair.  Is it through marriage, or was it for protection by the
Sinclairs?

Any information you can share with me will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Snody

Dear Rebecca,

                                Snody, Snoddy, Snoddie, Snodgrass

As you correctly surmise, this name is to be found in Scotland and Northern Ireland.  It began as
a nickname for a neat, trim and tidy person from  the Norse word snod with the added diminutive
suffix of  'y' or 'ie' which is not unusual in Scotland where we speak of a 'roadie'. a 'lochie', a 'manie',
a wifie, etc.

There are three different branches of Sinclairs in Northern Ireland:

                                The Sinclairs of Belfast
                                The Sinclairs of Balymena
                                The Sinclairs of Holyhill

At the moment, I cannot find any connection with "Snoddy" except to suggest that Sinclairs (generally
speaking) are always very particular about their dress and appearance so it may be that some of them
became known as being "Snoddie" which is really a Scandinavian way of saying that they were "Dandies"
- which many Sinclairs undoubtedly are.

Perhaps Ian Laird can let us have his views on the likelihood of this (admittedly) rather fanciful derivation !!

Niven Sinclair