Re: Would you like to invest?

At 16:08 02/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>The big front page story of the Scottish Banner is the death of Donald
>Dewar, Scotland's first Minister on Oct. 11th
>
>This also struck me as interesting since many of us do have Sutherland
>connections through the Sinclairs way back.
>
>The Nov. Scottish Banner has this article:
>DUKE OF SUTHERLAND DIES, FUTURE OF HIS FABULOUS ART COLLECTION IN DOUBT
>
>Many of the world famous pictures on display in the Scottish National
>Gallery in Edinburgh are on loan from benefactors, including 29 from the
>Duke of Sutherland.  He has one of the greatest private collections of art
>in Europe and the pictures on loan to the gallery are estimated to be worth
>125 million pounds.  But following his death last week at the age of 85, tax
>on his estate will have to be paid by his heirs.  As a result, a number of
>the pictures are likely to have to be sold.  They include a Rembrandt self
>portrait and works by Raphael, Titian and Tintoretto.   Some of the
>paintings belonging to the Sutherland estate will sell for many millions and
>would be beyond the resources of the gallery and its supporters.
>
>.
>
>Laurel

The paintings include the magnificent portrait of Millicent St Clair which has
pride of place on the great stairway at Dunrobin Castle and of Amelia St Clair
which is consigned to one of the back corridors but which, elsewhere, would
be worthy of a more prominent position.

As you say, there is an "embarrassment of riches" in the Sutherland collection
- the result of industrial money (like Carnegie, Ford, Heinz and
others).  This is
not to disparage the source of their wealth but to congratulate them on the
uses
to which they put their wealth.

Niven Sinclair