Re: Sinclair of Pennicuik

Title: Re: Sinclair of Pennicuik
on 18/10/00 18:37, Niven Sinclair at niven@niven.co.uk wrote:

At 20:39 17/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
on 17/09/00 17:49, Niven Sinclair at niven@niven.co.uk wrote:

> At 20:38 15/09/00 -0400, you wrote:
>> Greetings to Donald Sinclair,
>> I am so glad but not entirely surprised that you were able to help me in my
>> search. Funny thing is, I did not expect to find Sinclairs right in
>> Pennicuik - two doors from the Clerks (my family)! All I know is that a
>> Francis Sainclair married an Elizabeth Clerk (from about 100 years before)
>> and both lived and died in Sweden. And I thought the only connection
>> possigle was back in Sweden! maybe I should look closer around Roslyn...
>> So thanks for this new piece of the puzzle. Maybe one day I'll be able to
>> get to whole picture of the Clerk-Sinclair connection. Thank you  for your
>> help.
>> Francine Bernier
>

> Perhaps you should get a copy of my "Sinclairs of Sweden"
>
> I will send you a copy (a) if I can find one and (b) if you can let me have
> your postal address.
>
> Niven Sinclair
>

>> [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@mids.org
>> [ To get off or on the list, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html

Hello agin!

Dear Niven,

it has been a few weeks and no news yet, but were you able to locate a copy
of your "Sinclairs of Sweden" book?  I am still VERY interrested.
Thanks!

Francine

All my postal addresses are away with a girl who is putting them all on a disc so that I
do not have my usual difficulty in having to write all my 1,000+ Christmas Card envelopes.

Can you let me have your address again please.  I am sure I will find a copy of the Sinclairs
of Sweden for you.  Did I send you details of the Sinclairs of Penicuik?  The information
which I have pertains to a James Sinclair who married a Marha Hartley in 1798.  They had
12 children, one of whom, a Thomas Sinclair married (1) Margaret Robertson and (2) Janet
Cornell.  Between them, they had 16 children. one of whom was James Sinclair (b.1827)
who married (1) Eliza Lindsley and (2) Margaret Brown.  He emigrated to the United States
in 1855 and set up as a blotting-paper manufacturer and was still a member of the firm at
the time of his death in 1876.  He had no children.  His factory was in New Haven, Connecticut.

Alexander Brown Sinclair, the son of Thomas Sinclair above,  went to the United States in
1857.  He was also engaged in the paper business which is not surprising as paper was
manufactured at Rosslyn where the Sinclairs had a scriptorium where books were written
or copied by scribes; illuminated and bound.  I have recently become the owner of a copy
of the works of Geoffrey Chaucer (1345-1400) which had been written, illuminated and bound
at Rosslyn.  This book had been stolen by General Fairfax (one of Cromwell's Generals).
Fortunately, it found its way to the Bodleian Library in Oxford where it was recently analysed
by experts who described the paper, the binding, etc. in minute detail.  They made a
beautiful copy (some of it in colour) for me which I was happy to pay for.

Niven Sinclair

Dear Niven,

Here is my postal address:

F. Bernier
26 Maisonneuve Street
Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec
H9B 1K4
Canada

Looking forward to read this book. Thank you again.