Re: The Dirge of Rosabelle

At 18:51 10/10/28 -0500, you wrote:

>Just for fun once in a while I get in my old 78 record collection, wind up
>the crank, change the needle and put on the  Rosalinda Waltz.  What a
>beautiful sound.
>
>    Donald H. Sinclair

     And, of course, there is "The Dirge of Rosabelle" which begins:

                                 "Oh listen! listen ladies gay
                                   No haughty feat of arms I tell:
                                   Soft is the note, and sad the lay,
                                    That mourns the lovely Rosabelle"

And, after a further 10 verses, ends:

                                 "There are twenty of Roslin's barons bold
                                   Lie buried within that prou chapelle;
                                   Each one the holy vault does hold -
                                   But the sea holds lovely Rosabelle!

                                 "And each Saint Clair was buried there,
                                   With candle, with book, and with knell;
                                   But the sea-caves rung, and the wild
winds sung
                                   The dirge of lovely Rosabelle".

It is the story of Rosabelle, who lived at Ravenscraig Castle on the Fife
side of the Firth
of Forth, but who, having heard of a great ball which was to be held at
Rosslyn Castle, was
determined to attend although she had been told that the weather was too
bad to attempt
a sea-crossing the Firth that night.  Her determination was reinforced with
the knowledge that
Lord Lindsay's son and heir was attending the ball and he had already
caught her eye
as being a fine horseman.  Surely, he would also be a fine dancer!

Alas, the wild winds won and, in the mind's eye, one can see the lovely
Rosabelle,
trapped in one of the sea-caves, - and still longing to reach the ball so
that she could
show off her new dress and dance the night away with gallant young
Lindsay!  What
a beau he would make!!

Perhaps, it is the story of life itself: the longing for the unattainable -
in sight but out of reach!

"The Dirge of Rosabelle" is one of the saddest and, yet, one of the
loveliest poems in the
English language.

Niven Sinclair