Sinclairs in east Lotian

 Hermandston is downstream (on the River Tyne*) from Pencaitland and may mow be
shown on the map as Samuelston.

>Hermanston Castle was blown up by the Royal Engineers (practising demolition)
so there is nothing left there now except the Chapel of St John (where the
Sinclairs of Hermanston are still buried) and one of the best examples of a
bottle dungeon to be found anywhere in Scotland which, being below ground,
escaped destruction.

The tunnel which linked the Castle with the River is still extant although, in
the interests of safety, a heavy iron grill prevents entry.<

This is interesting Niven, I live in East Lothian is it worth a run up to
Sanmuelston to have a look. Did I also read somewhere that the Sinclairs were
also former owners of Stevenson house in the Haddington area.

Regards

John