Re: Red Birthmarks

Both my eldest daughter and I had "strawberry" birthmarks on our thighs which
disappeared eventually. My youngest daughter had one too but it wasn't as
pronounced. As far as moles, my eldest and I both have them, and in
approximately the same places: the left corner of the mouth and on the left
cheekbone a half-inch below the outer corner of the eye. We have had to
suffer through teasing since those locations are where actresses used to
pencil them in. Sigh.

My mother called them "beauty marks." As a very young child, I assumed that
since I had them, I was, indeed, beautiful. You guessed it. As mirrors
cracked and clocks stopped, I went through life believing it was my exquisite
appearance that caused the phenomena. When I was told that I had a face that
would stop a clock, I was flattered. You can imagine my horror when I learned
the truth of it.

As a result, there are no clocks or mirrors in our house. That's why my
lipstick is always on crooked and I never know what time it is.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Johnnye St. Clair-Gerhardt