Re: Sinclairs in Georgia

Dear John and Christine,

> >As I'm writing this I'm still searching… I found even more information
> >which tells us I'm right. I found a marriage record for her….
> >
> >BOISSY
> >Sex: F
> >Marriage(s):
> >Spouse: Jesse CARVER
> >Marriage Abt. 1811
> ><>, Tattnall, Georgia
>
> Do you have a source for this marriage record?

Yes, the source is the IGI, to find out the film no. go there. Never
mind, here it is;

Source Information:
Film Number:1903589

> >and as your name is Carver I believe for a fact that this is your
> >relative…. So now we do know her last name was Boissy as the information
> >above is to be found in the International Genealogical Index in Salt
> >Lake City, the source for IGI is church and parish records and official
> >census records. You can order the micro films from them, just visit
> >their local LDS centre close to where you live.

> Um, one should always take LDS records with a large grain of salt.
> They record basically anything anyone tells them.

That is true but then again it is NOT true. This is not a common LDS
record this is a record of the IGI which contains ONLY the filmed church
and parish records and official census records. This makes the above
information much more reliable. I thought you knew about this difference
i reliability.

When searching the mormon site you will find this particular records if
you on their first page click on CUSTOM search and then choose the IGI.
If not you will search within the LDS complete database of record which
includes, as you say, a lot of uncertain information.

>And just because
> they recorded a single name as a surname isn't much evidence that it
> was a surname and not a first name.

My statement that the name Boissy normally is a surname is NOT only
based on findings in familysearch.com. Why don't you try your self to
find out how common it is/was by just searching the net or the white
pages in any country. That would basically give you a good hint on
whether it's a surname or a christian name. I am quite sure that you
after that will make the same assumption.

I am not really sure what you meant to say by your comment. And I am
sorry if it all made Christine confused as it was all meant to help out.
Maybe this just gives her the information that there are different
points of wives. And when it comes to "the standard reference" for that
time and place, as you put it - of which I know nothing - I just want to
point out the fact that there are just one reliable source and that is
parish records and such not an old published book. And if I understood
everything right there where no reference to this Boissys parents or her
past for that matter. And to me it is not good enough with a book who
tells me that there are no further information on a particular person as
long as it does not show a thorough investigation into the known Boissys
then coming up with proofs that there where no connection what so ever.
So I stay with my conclusion that as long as nothing else is proven she
is the daughter of NN Boissy and not the daughter of any unknown
Sinclair.

Just a last thought, why on earth should a Scottish Sinclair choose a
French surname as christian name for his daughter?!

Regards
Lena