Re: coffin

>Anyone on the group who has a copy of Laurence Gardner`s book Bloodline of
>the Holy Grail maybe they could help me ,on page 298 there is a drawing
>titled The sword and Chalice of the Holy Grail,can any one explain this
>symbolism,i have seen these exact symbol`s carved on a medieval coffin lid
>found in ayrshire.
>Any help would be most welcome.
>
>Ps Would the Coffin have been a made for a Templar.
>
>Phil.

Phil:
The symbols are commonly found on Templar gravestones.  On the stem of the
chalice is the floriated cross.  Although there are variations, it is
usually with the eight branches as pictured on p. 298.  In Andrew
Sinclair's :The Sword and the Grail", besides the sword and grail on the
cover, he begins each chapter with the floriated cross.  In the figures
following p. 150, he shows, in one figure, "Two Templar grave slabs,
Pentland, near Rosslyn, now covered" and in a second, "Templar gravestones
at Westkirk near Culross Abbey, Fife, with Masonic symbols."  These figures
show four gravestones in all, all with the sword and grail with the
floriated cross.  From "The Templar Legacy and Masonic Inheritance Within
Rosslyn Chapel" by Tim Wallace-Murphy, Fig.4 following p. 45 shows the
gravesone of "William de Sinncler", at Rosslyn Chapel, with the same sword
and grail image.
Hope this helps.
Ian sinclair (Richmond Hill, Ont.)