Re: New to this

Ian

Is there a LDS (Mormon) branch library near you?  The Mormons have microfilm the
British Vital Stats.   The following is their website & the description from
this site (Library Catalog) on Civil Registration:

http://www.familysearch.org/

England - Civil registration - Indexes
  Titles:
           England and Wales, Civil registration indexes on
           microfiche and microfilm  Church of Jesus Christ
           of Latter-day Saints. Family History Library (Salt
           Lake City, Utah)

           A guide to the arrangement of the registration
           districts listed in the indexes to the civil
           registration of England and Wales  Church of
           Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical
           Department

           Index to Civil registration districts 1837-1988
            Newport, J. A

           Index to the civil registration of births, marriages
           and deaths for England and Wales, 1837-1980
            Great Britain. Registrar General

           Index to the civil registration of births, marriages
           and deaths for England and Wales, 1837-1983
            Great Britain. Registrar General

           Index to the civil registration of births, marriages
           and deaths for England and Wales, from 1 July
           1837, kept by the Registrar General  Church of
           Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical
           Department

           Index to the civil registration of births,
           marriages, and deaths for England and Wales
           from July 1, 1837 to December 31, 1980, kept
           by the Registrar General  Church of Jesus
           Christ of Latter-day Saints. Family History
           Library (Salt Lake City, Utah)

           Memmott : Birth, civil registration index
           England, Wales and Scotland 1 Jul 1837 to 31
           Dec 1983  Memmott, Clayton E (Clayton
           Eugene)

           The Registration districts in the civil registration
           of England : a supplement to the index to civil
           registration of births, marriages, and deaths for
           England and Wales from 1 July 1837

Once you have the date of death, check local newspapers.  Also check for a
marriage a couple of years before your father was born, also get your fathers
birth certificate as it might have more info (like marriage date & place of his
parents).

If your grandfather worked for the The Dublin Steam Packet Co., I would also
suggest checking the Dublin City directories for place of residence.

What happen to the grandmother?  Did she live a long time?

Does you father have any siblings?  Possibly family records/papers got pass on
to other relatives

WANDA SINCLAIR
Rexdale, Ontario