Hudson Bay Company & Sinclairs

Hi Gordon,
I have a wee book called "Leaving Scotland" by Mona McLeod.  When discussing the
Scots who emigrated to Canada she says:

Scots had been recruiting its best agents and trappers in the Orkneys - "not
turbulent Scottish fools but sturdy, inoffensive crofters and fishermen who
needed no instruction about northern hardship".  But the Company wanted agents to
deal with Indian hunters of the far north, not migrants.  The Sinclairs of
Caithness, who were principal shareholders, made sure that part of the men's pay
went directly to their families in
Scotland.

There is no bibliography in this book, so its hard to double check this
information.
However, it makes sense that the Sinclairs were involved in the Hudson Bay
Company.
Does anyone else have information about this connection?

Toni