VA St. Clairs - HELP!

Hi:

I have found an interesting listing on the Bedford County 1880 Census
Record.  Can anyone identify the family below?  Specifically, George?

BORE AUGER AREA229. StClair, George W.      31     Farmer
     Mary S.                 43     Nannie E.               10
     Ardelia E.               8     George L.                6
     Ella D.                  3     James R.                 1

Who were George's parents?  Who was the Mary S.?  She would coincidentally
be the correct age (and FINALLY correct middle initial) of the wife of my
William St. Clair, b. ca 1833.  Could she have been widowed during/following
the Civil War as family stories say?  Did she return to Bedford Co. and
marry William's brother (could it be George?)

Yes, I am grasping at straws.  William appears and then abruptly disappears.
This line has plagued me for better than 20 years.

Any help is REALLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Amber (St. Clair) Dalakas