Re: Engrailed Cross

At 11:42 16/05/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Another list I s ubscribe to are discussing the origins of the Sinclair
>Engrailed Cross. Can anyone help?
>
>Thanks
>
>John

John,

I'd be interested in what they have to say.

I have always thought it represented the protection of the true cross
because we were the knights of the grail - hence engrailing.

Others say that the four legs represent the rivers of paradise.

But, if you look carefully at the engrailed crosses within Rosslyn
Chapel you will find, if you cut off at the first knuckle, you are
looking at the croix pattee of the Knights Templar - hidden but
plain to see and, on the outside of the Chapel, there is the
head of Hermes indicating the sealed secret within i.e. the
association with the banned Templars.

Niven