Re: Articles about the Vikings & logs

At 14:45 11/05/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Niven, Margaret et al,
>                                        As I remember some of my more
>memorable moments occurred in Port Said. The question of having them revealed
>to the world at large would probably, in todays open society, elicit mostly
>yawns and remarks such as what!, no drugs!  Funny life seemed less
>complicated in those days.  Maureen has been after me to write my
>memoirs.......I'll make you a deal Niven.....if you write yours, I'll write
>mine.......What a story that would be.  All the best to you all.

                Donald J.H.
Dear Donald,

I have often thought about writing my memoirs but, on reflection, I
realise, no-one
would believe them as, in my case and in yours, the truth is stranger than
fiction.

It is my African friends who are most insistent that I should write about
my African
experiences.  In today's climate of hostility between black and white, it
would be even
more difficult to understand a period when one never locked a door or took
an ignition
key out of a car; when one could walk the length of the Nile River without
a moment of
fear or live with the Pygmies in the 'old' Belgian Congo without worrying
about poisoned
arrows.  The dark Continent held no fears for those who loved Africa with
an intensity
which defies any rational explanation.  For those of us who have lived
there, it is an
enduring love.  It is with me still.

Niven

Your innocent cousin,