Re: and another thing

In case any of you were wondering what Rory's message was about, I
sent Rory a private note that included a joke about Maggie Thatcher.
Rory inadvertently replied publicly to my private message.  We have
agreed to be more careful in labelling and replying to private messages.

The actual joke in my message was:

 >>Now I am positive that Malcolm was a minister in Maggie's government,
 >>but even that I won't hold against him. :-)

As I've since discussed with Rory (privately) that was obviously an
offhand comment and not meant to be taken as a slight on the Earl,
nor did Rory interpret it that way.  I said what I had to say about
the "Titled Gentleman" thread in the list where you all saw it, and
the gist of what I said was:

 >>While I do find it constantly amusing that we are using electronic
 >>mailing lists and web pages to discuss of some of the most antique
 >>social systems around, namely Scottish clans and British nobility,
 >>nonetheless those things are all part of our continuous history.
 >>Personally, I like to think of what people do, and I have to say that
 >>I've seen few people more active (OK, maybe Niven :-) in things related
 >>to Sinclair history than the current Sinclair nobility.

Everyone is, however, free to interpret my joke as a slight on Maggie
Thatcher if they wish, although I will say I do hold her in higher esteem
than I do Ronald Reagan. :-)

John S. Quarterman <jsq@matrix.net>