Re: Rosslyn Chapel

At 11:50 21/04/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear All,
>Can anyone please provide any update on the vaults under the chapel and any
>plans to open them up?
>David Sinclair

There is no immediate intention to open the vaults at Rosslyn Chapel
because (a) approval
would have to be given by Historic Scotland and (b) the timing has to be
right because these
are no ordinary vaults.

I had permission to enter and film in the vaults but access was too
difficult so I contented
myself by carrying out three separate sonar surveys (one of them under the
aegis of Edinburgh
University) and by involving well-known and respected
dowsers.  Non-invasive techniques are
being constantly improved and it is through these methods, rather than
physical entry of the
vaults, that our knowledge of the contents of the vaults will be
confirmed.   This will certainly
include a Black Madonna.

Niven Sinclair