" Churchyards have changed much over the centuries "

Greetings --

This article may be of interest to the list membership , esp. those who prowl
the churchyards in their geneology quests .

British Archaeology --   http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba40/ba40feat.html

""Remembering the dead on stone markers ""
Churchyards have changed much over the centuries, explains Harold Mytum

Here is the hyperlink  to the Magazine Home Page for those who can access it
that way !          <A HREF="http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba.html">'British
Archaeology' home page</A>

Regards to all ,
Joe Greigg

At 21:37 13/03/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Niven,
>    You are a treasure trove of information.  Do you happen to know anything
>of the following Sinclair derivitives that I have found in allied lines in
>other branches of our family?  I have yet to research these line, aside from
>the bare details listed below:
>
>   Descendants of Phillip Sentclere
>
>     1   Phillip Sentclere   b: Bef. 1362 in of Shirburn, Oxfordshire,
> Eng
>..      +Margaret De  Lovaine   b: Abt. 1366 in of Shirburn, Oxfordshire,
>Eng
>d: 1408 m:          1398
>     2   Thomas Saint Clair  b: Bef. 1399 in of Shirburn, Oxfordshire, Eng
>d: May 06,              1434
>....        +Mrs    b: Bef. 1403 in of Heighton Saint Clare, Firle, Sussex,
>Eng
>... 3   Eleanor Saint Clare b: Abt. 1425 in of Heighton, St. Clare, Firle,
>Sussex, Eng
>.......     +John Gage  b: Abt. 1420 in Burstowe, Sussex, Eng   d: 1476
>.....   4   William of Firle Gage   b: Abt. 1450 in of Firle, Sussex,
>England
>d: 1557 in Firle,           Sussex, England
>.........       +Agnes Bolney   b: Abt. 1455 in of Bolney, Sussex, Eng
>... 3   Edith Saint Clare   b: Abt. 1425
>     2   John Saint Clair
>
>Also:
>
>Descendants of Waldron De Saint Clare
>
>     1   Waldron De Saint Clare  b: Abt. 1015 in of Normandy, France
>..      +Helena Le Bon  b: Abt. 1030 in of Normandy, France
>     2   Agnes De Saint Clare    b: Abt. 1054 in of Barnstable, Devonshire,
>Eng
>....        +William De Braose  b: Abt. 1049 in of Brienze, Normandy, France

>      Yes, Marilyn, I have information about  the Sinclairs you mention which

         comes from the "Sinclairs of England" by Thomas Sinclair

         With our pre-occupation with all things Scottish, we tend to lose
sight of
          the very powerful position which the Sinclairs held in England
under William
         'the Conqueror' and which they held for generations afterwards.

         The particular line which you mention were the ancestors of the
present
          Viscount Gage who quarters the St Clair arms with his own and
retain the ancient
          Court rolls at Heighton St Clere.  They also married into the
Harcourt family

        This family held extensive properties in Somerset, Cambridge,
Oxford, Suffolk,
        Surrey,  Leicester and Kent.

       If I can persuade someone to type all the information, I'll put it
on the list -
       otherwise if you let me have your postal address, I'll photo-copy it
and send it
      on to you.

      When I eventually 'retire' I hope to be able to devote more time to
following the
      fortunes of the "Sinclairs of England" who, like their Scottish
cousins, invariably
      failed to leave a male heir and thus their properties descended
through the females
       who, on marriage, acquired their husbands' names.  This was
certainly the case
>   with the three co-heiresses whom you mention who brought extensive
> possessions
      to their husbands, namely the Lovells (Northamptonshire), the Gages
(Sussex) and
     the Harcourts (Oxfordshire).

Niven Sinclair