Re: Fw: #2 on my research request

At 10:53 26/02/00 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

The history of Caithness goes back thousands of years i.e. long before the
Norse Earls
became involved and long before the Sinclairs were ever heard of.

There are enough books on Caithness to keep you reading for a hundred
years.   The
archaeologists are still 'digging' to discover more about the past of that
amazing county.

Poor Ian is up to his eyes with scrapers and paint brushes as he tried to
get Noss Head
into some sort of shape before the Sinclair Clan descends upon him in July.

At the moment, I can't trace any Francis Sinclair (N.Z.) who may have been
related to
George the 53rd Earl of Caithness (15th not 16th Sinclair Earl) but as, at
the material
time, the Earldom passed from the Mey line to the Durran line (as I
explained in an earlier e-mail in answer to the same query) it is likely
that any 'son' would have been a 'natural' one
rather than a legitimate one otherwise the Earldom would have remained with
the Mey
Branch.  Because of the tendency for Sinclairs to remain 'single' and/or
because of their
failure to produce male heirs, the Earldom has passed from branch to branch
and is
currently back with the Mey line of the family although, with the death of
George in 1889,
the barony and Estates of the Mey family became estranged from the dignity.

With every good wish for your 'op'.  Let's hope it will prove to be less
serious than you
fear and that chemo-therapy will not be necessary.  Fingers crossed.

Niven