From: rob
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2000 6:25 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: New

Story time:

The Two Towers
Book III
Chapter 4 ~ Treebeard
p87 (2nd Edition, 1965)
 by J.R.R. Tolkien

        The two Hobbits Merry and Pippen have just escaped from the orcs of Isengard and found their way into Fangorn Forest where they have met Treebeard, chief of the Ents...talking trees...The hobbits trigger a council of the Ents from which they wander off with Bregalad, a young enting who has already made up his mind about how to deal with Saruman...here's why...

                "There were rowan-trees in my home,' said Bregalad, softly and sadly, 'rowan trees that took root when I was an Enting, many many years ago in the quiet of the world. The oldest were planted by the Ents to try and please the Entwives; but they looked at them and smiled and said that they knew where whiter blossom and richer fruit were growing. Yet there are no trees of all that race, the people of the Rose, that are so beautiful to me. And these trees grew and grew, till the shadow of each was like a green hall, and their red berries in the autumn were a burden, and a beauty and a wonder. Birds used to flock there. I like birds, even when they chatter; and the rowan has enough to spare. But the birds became unfriendly and greedy and tore at the trees, and threw the fruit down and did not eat it. Then orcs came with axes and cut down my trees. I came and called them by their long names, but they did not quiver, they did not hear or answer: they lay dead.

                    O Orofarne, Lassemista, Carnimiriee!
                    O rowan fair, upon your hair how white the blossom lay!
                    O rowan mine, I saw you shine upon a summer's day,
                    Your rind so bright, your leaves so light, your voice so cool and soft:
                    Upon your head how golden-red the crown you core aloft!
                    O rowan dead, upon your head your hair is dry and grey;
                    Your crown is spilled, your voice is stilled for ever and a day.
                    O Orofarne, Lassemista, Carnimiriee!

       " The hobbits soon fell asleep to the sound of the soft singing of Bregalad, that seemed to lament in many tongues the fall of trees that he had loved..."

[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@mids.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html