argyll et al

Greetings to members of the Sinclair List with interests in Argyll:

Got a prod from Toni that we have been too quiet. Aye Guilty Aye!

The genealogical research from list members comes in fits and starts but is accumulating slowly. The social and family historical context continues to be a puzzle at it of necessity examines language, family migrations, and clan sociology in Argyllshire Scotland pre 1700. Keeping in mind that the Argyll Sinclairs were not of the clans dominant in Argyll 1500-1600 but consisted of a working class, documentation is scarce and most sources are secondary and not primary. Of course sources on Rob Roy and Campbell's abound. Again much of this material is secondary in nature.

The following with your indulgence is repeated from previous posting;
"I have been attempting to keep in contact with an number of Sinclairs from Argyll and would also ask for your help. If you want to stay informed of Argyll specifically and want to send me directly at Rinsin@globalserve.net your e-mail address I will add you on to the Argyll Net and keep you updated on research until it gets posted on the Sinclair site. Please do read Karen Mathesons posted article on some of the accumulated research thus far. Secondly you could contribute as well by filing with us the following information pertaining to Argyll;

1. You full name and location and contact address.
2. Full name of the LAST ancestor known to be born in Argyll  with their date of birth and location of birth. (insert farm name/clachan/town/parish if known)
3. Immediate Ancestors (parents)in Argyll if known and birth date and location
4. Immediate Descendants Full name & location of birth.
5. Date of Migration away from Argyll
6. Vessel used in migration if known and origin of voyage.
7. Reason for migration if known and notes if helpful.

Sample:
1. You full name and location and contact address. Neil Sinclair Toronto Canada rinsin@globalserve.net
2. Full name of the LAST ancestor known to be born in Argyll  with their date of birth and location of birth. (insert clachan/town/parish if known)  John Sinclair born cira 1760 Glendaruel (clachan) Kilmodan Parish.
3. Immediate Ancestors (parents)in Argyll if known and birth date and location. Pbly believd John & Ann Sinclair - Glendaruel - Kilmodan Parish - unknown
4. Immediate Descendants Full name & location of birth. Margaret Sinclair etc born cira 1791 Hamilton PEI et al
5. Date of Migration away from Argyll 1770 to PEI
6. Vessel used in migration if known. pbly Annabelle  from Campbelton Kyntyre
7. Economic establishment at age 6 to possibly obtain eligibility for ownership of land.
pbly=probably blvd = believed cira = about

This information will be appended to the Argyll study and made available to illustrate migration patterns of Sinclairs from Argyll, assist in genealogical searches and of particular interest is "first arrivals" in any geographical region. We have some material on Australia, North Carolina, PEI & Ontario.

For genealogical information and posting and searching please continue to use the Sinclair list. It works and is excellent! This inquiry is limited to Argyll and Sinclair migration patterns only from Argyll..

Yours Aye;
Neil Sinclair
Toronto/PEI/Forever Argyll