Re: Culloden

Often the Chief would have some clansmen committed to one side and some
committed to the other.

The Chief could then disown the loser.  Highland honour was subject to
curious interpretations at times.  Sinclair's still smarting form the rising
in 1715, when in 1746 the Italian born Charles Edward Stuart led the last
feudal army to take the field, in to battles against his cousin did not
participate. Gathering a few worthies (who never made it to the battle), a
year after the Young Pretender  landed, been advised to go home only to
reply that "He had come home" does show the first bit of common sense on the
part of our Chiefs vis a vie the Stuart. It show no commitment to the
Rebellion.

The farmer John Sinclair, who lived on the edge of Drummossie Moor, was
briefly detained when the information reached Cumberland that he was a
Rebel.  He was released when the information was proven to be untrue.

A clan followed it's Chief, no law, no Government decree no King stood above
the call of a Highland Chief to the Gentleman and Clansman.  We, who bear
one of the proudest names, have not promoted that name we have failed to
tell of our collective deeds glorious and times victorious we have the
opportunity to do that now.

"could these few short summers be mine
then all the world would cry Sinclair
and echo with our name"