St. Clair/Sinclair

Hi:  I have just joined this list and have a question.  Not long ago, I
found out that my great-great grandmother was Nancy Susan Sinclair of Wayne
Co., Tennessee.  I was unable to find her as a child, until I found her
listed as the daughter of William St. Clair of Lauderdale County, Alabama in
1850.  Everything checks out for this to be her.  My question is:  Why did
the St. Clair family change to Sinclair????      !!!!! from Saints to
Sinners!!!!
Thanks, Steve Cooper,   scooper75@mindspring.com