Subject: Anyone going to Wick soon?

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 20:32:37 EDT
From: DSinc39156@aol.com

I remember a monument from the 1st. World War situated in front of Caithness
Glass just north of Wick. This memoriam was erected in memory of a tank
company that was funded by the citizens of Hempriggs and manned by their
young sons. I also remember there was a least one Sinclair on that stone. I
am wondering if there may also be a Laird listed there. Horizontal rains (go
figure) were with me the day I quickly scanned the names and I now wish I had
taken the time to read it thoroughly. If anyone will be in our old homeland
soon, I would appreciate the information greatly.
Donald Sinclair (Indianapolis) ggg grandson of Hempriggs.

Dear Donald

We were up in Caithness with the Earl and Niven and our Norwegian Friends in
April this year and visited Caithness Glass.  Both as an ex-soldier and from
family interest, I studied the War Memorial there and could see no Lairds
mentioned.  The number of Lairds in Caithness diminished greatly in the 19th
Century (which is possibly why when people started writing Clan books, we
were overlooked).  The only mention of "Laird" is at Canisbay, where it
records the death of John Laird MANSON.

Yours aye

Iain Laird