Re: What is a Laird? A fair question!

DOTY -- you wrote :

"" My grandfather, Robert Roland Henderson, always claimed to be a Scot,
but recent research leads me to believe that my original immigrant was from
Northern Ireland.""

The journey from the Highlands to the Lowlands , thence to England and
finally to North America via a short or lengthy stay in Northern Ireland was
the classic emmigration route taken by many Scots,  due to the ""Clearances
"" ,  other persecution or for reasons of economic necessity/opportunity  !

You will learn that family " folklore" ( tradition ) is often the classic way
in which " facts " were passed from generation to generation .

Hope this insight helps your search .
Joe Greigg