Re: [LAIRD-L] Sinclair digest posted 12 Sep

Dear Craig

Tweedside or Berwick and Peebles is the oldest reference to the surname Laird
in Scotland, and in conventional publications, the only reference to Lairds
in Scotland. There are also a very large number of references going a long
way back in Renfrewshire.  Until now the presence of a large number of Lairds
in Caithness and Orkney, sometimes spelt Leard or Leird has been ignored. To
create further confusion, there are references to the Lairds in the South
being of German origin, while in the North we are of Norse origin.  What is
certain is that where the Lairds are found in Caithness is very much in
Sinclair country.  The Clans and Septs and Tartans enjoyed a real revival in
the 19th Century, and by this stage the numbers of Lairds in Caithness had
begun to diminish.  This is why I am inclined to believe that the Lairds in
Caithness have been overlooked.  I do not know exactly how long Lairds had
been in the North, because church records (OPRs) do not start until about
1650.  We keep looking.

Yours aye

Iain