Re: Bruce and companions' bodies.

Hi John,

Just a thought on Lena and Niven's write ups on this battle.  There's
actually no need to claim that John St Clair was the "unamed
Knight".  Niven never actually claims that.  There were 26 other squires
and gentlemen with them, and it's more than likely John was Sir William's
squire, in which case he wouldn't have been named.  It is commonly known
and accepted that the two brothers were basically always together, and so
it would be fairly natural to assume that they were together for this
battle.  As well, as Niven points out, there were the post mortem payments
to the nephew, which if John had been alive, would have gone to him, as his
nephews guardian (and his own by right).  So I would think it's fairly safe
to say that he was with his brother and did die at the Battle of Teba,
without ever needing to lay claim to the "Unnamed Knight"

Also, from "The Bloody Heart" by By Peter Drummond-Murray of Mastrick,
Slains Pursuivant of Arms.

Originally printed in The Double Tressure - Journal of the Heraldry Society
of Scotland, Number 16, 1994

He states that the Battle of Theba (Teba) occured on 25 August, 1330, and
references the death of Bruce as occuring  "at Cardross on 7 June
1329".  If Bruce died in June, then the battle certainly couldn't have
taken place in March.

The article in full can be found at
http://www.cyberhighway.net/~cutter/cdsna/bloody.htm, complete with sources.

Regards