Re: MacGregors in Argyll

To List --

I have sent Karen the full text of an article in response to her question
below --If anyone else wants the full article , please e-mail me and I will
forward the entire article directly >Karen wrote ::::

Joe,

You mentioned that Sinclair was one of the surnames that some of the
MacGregors assumed, and that this has been documented.  Can you retrace and
find the source?  You've got me very intrigued, and now I'm going to have to
pursue this!  The problem thus far that I can see is that there are few
Sinclairs found in extant Argyll records (as far as I'm aware, although I
certainly haven't looked at every possible source) until the two mentioned in
the 1692 list of "fencible men."  This is 90 years after the proscription
act.  Wouldn't we see many more Sinclair/MacGregors after three generations
of time?

Anyone else out there who can add some tidbits?

Thanks,
Karen