Re: FYI - Additional Response to => Re: 1776 Clan Chief

Ed - Some additional FYI for your 'locale' enquiry.
     With thanks to the late James Augustus Sinclair, 16th Earl of
     Caithness for having recorded same.

  In reference to the Donald Sinclair in my previous note: he was
known   locally as "Donald the Sailor" and traded with 2 vessels, the
"Rose"
  and the "Thistle," between Sarclet, near Wick, and Avoch in
Ross-shire. His son William, the tacksman of Isauld Barony in Reay
  was assisting his father (Donald) to load a vessel with corn for the
  supply of Fort george at Sandside bay, when the natives of Reay
  mobbed him for putting corn out of the country, in such a year of
  dearth (1760). He fought in self defence, and being a powerful man he
  killed one of his assailants (named MacKay), and had to fly the
  country.  He held the farm of Munlochy in the Black Isle of Ross until
  1784, when he removed to Muirends, where he died in 1788.
  His family held that farm for 67 years......."

My Gf (John) had searched (1902-10) info of what his father (William)
had told him, ie. that Captain James Sinclair of EIC was his
Uncle....and so the genealogical search continues into my generation and
beyond...  : -)
Of interest, I have traced ancestors (other than Sinclairs) in Rothes
connected to my Sinclairs from Reay, CAI.  I haven't pursued any
attachment to Historical or Genealogy societies in Ross-shire at this
time, else I would have forwarded you a 'contact'....
       ....Cheers,   John Sinclair