Came across the following while trying to make room for Andrew when he returns. Thought it might be of interest to those doing research in Argyll.
Think it is from "MACTALLA Argyll Teachers Magazine" Spring 1954 by Colin M. MacDonald, M.A., D.Litt., Emeritus Director of Education for Argyll.
"The Valuation Roll of Argyll for the year 1751, compiled at a time when the stirring and momentous events of the Forty-Five were fresh in the memories of all Highlanders, is of very great importance to the interested student of the Geography and History as well as of the Finance of Argyll.
When the Roll was written the boundaries of the County differed very considerably from those with which we are now familiar and enclosed in their spacious ambit territories that no longer form part of modern Argyll.
As is generally well known, the County from the North to the South is now divided into the Administrative Districts of Mull, Ardnamurchan, North and South Lorn, Mid Argyll, Cowal, Kintyre and Islay but two hundred years ago the Districts as they appear in their illogical order in the Valuation Roll were Cowal, Kintyre, Islay, Lorn and Mull.
Of these Districts Argyll covered the most extensive area and included - in addition to the familiar Parishes of the present time - four others: (1) Inishail and Clachandisart (the old ecclesiastical name of Dalmally), (2) Kilchrenan and Dalavich, (3) Kilmelford and (4) Kilberry and Kilcalmonell, for many centuries part of the domain of the MacDonald Lords of the Isles. The reasons for the inclusion of these parishes in old Argyll were partly historical and ecclesiastical but mainly administrative for this old Argyll formed the main portion of the Sheriffdom of Argyll, which, prior to 1633, was a Campbell Sheriffdom with the Knights of Lochawe (the Campbell Earls) as Hereditary Sheriffs.
Cowal, it may be noted with some surprise, overran the borders of modern Mid0Argyll through the inclusion in its area of the Parish of Kilmalieu or Glenaray, now so closely associated with Inveraray and its neighborhood. The modern Parish of Kilmodan - an obvious ecclesiastical name - had the alternative geographical title of Glendaruel, while Dunoon, which had not yet passed from the state of villagehood to burghal dignity, was situated in the Parish of Kilmun and Dunoon rather than of Dunoon and Kilmun.
Kintyre as a district was composed of one insular Parish, that of Gigha, and three extensive mainland Parishes (1) Killean, Saddell and Kilchezie, (ii) Kilkerran, Kilmichael, and Kilchousland and (iii) Kilcolmkill, Kilblaan and Kilkivan. These very names in themselves show how pervasive was the influence of the Church in Kintyre in ancient times for they all, with the exception of Saddell, recall the names of Saints, the majority of whom are Celtic, while Saddell itself owned its celebrity to the Abbey, the foundation of which was initiated by the great Somerled of the Isles, whose son Reginald carried to fruition about the middle of the Twelfth century the pious aspirations of his father.
Islay - which is invariably spelt "Ilay" in the Valuation Roll - differs from the majority of the other Districts in that no Parishes at all are shown and the land is valued according to the estates of the individual proprietors. The landlord with the largest stake in the island was Daniel Campbell of Shawfield, who shard the Island with other landowners, all of whom, wit h the solitary exception of a Charles Murray, were members of Clan Campbell that had ousted the Macdonalds of Dunivaig from their ancestral lands more than a century earlier. By a somewhat strange contrast we find in this District a reference to a Parish in Jura but not of Jura s in modern times and the name of this comprehensive Parish of "Kilcarnadile" has become entirely obsolete in Argyll terminology.
The District of Lorn was made up of fewer Parishes than those now embraced in the area of modern North and South Lorn, which have expanded their boundaries at the expense of the old Argyll now represented more or less satisfactorily by the "real" Argyll, the Mid-Argyll of our own days."
Ok - going cross-eyed. If anyone's interested I will finish second part of article - it gives info on the land owners of Argyll on the Roll.