Surnames

-------

Hello all,

I have read that just because someone posses a certain Scottish surname,
that doesn't mean that they are of that ancestry or line of decent
necessarily. I will use the Campbell name for example since that name has
been a topic of discussion lately. Many people that lived on the Campbell
lands would adopt the Campbell name as their own even though they did not
have Campbell blood. Rob Roy MacGregor was known to have used the surname
Campbell.  I also read that the Sinclairs would not permit serfs to use
their surname. Meaning that if you are a Sinclair, you are of the Sinclair
line. Is this correct? Does anyone have more to add to this? Please enlighten
me.

Thanks,

Sid
(Sidney Sinclair Griffith, Jr.)