Re: A Good Dictionary

-------

Thanks Jean,
    You are the second person to say they have the Oldhams Dictionary.  Did
you see the two websites for dictionaries?  Seems like we are well covered
with all these resources.  I have bought a Talking Dictionary on CD.
Haven't installed it yet.  It ought to be a kick.  Now if I could just spell
the words better so that I could find them in the dictionary.
Laurel

>>Hi Laurel,
>Hi, a Scottish subscriber's intervention if you will forgive it since we
>may be a wee bit nearer to the language.
>>
>>I have a very ancient big old dictionary, the Odhams Dictionary of the
>>English Language.  There is no date in it but I thought it might be
>>useful for old, unused words!!
>>
>>Regarding the words you are interested in:
>>
>>Bothy  =  A hut or cottage, a one-roomed building for housing workmen.
>Usually a place to house seasonal farmworkers, never someone's permanent
>dwelling.  Nowadays it's sometimes used to describe a mountain hut or
>refuge that skiers and climbers would use as an overnight resting place.
>In either context it would be very basic.
>
>There are many "bothy" ballads among the folk songs of Scotland,
>historically made up and sung by seasonal workers to pass the time in
>the evenings. They constitute a particular genre of folk song.
>>
>>Dapifer  =  A royal steward - a person who brings meat to the table.
>>
>>Desiderata was not in this Dictionary, but the plural of it it!
>Desiderata ia the plural form of desideratum
>>
>>Desideratum  -  Of a real or felt want.  That which is greatly desired.
>Yes, it is what is desirable but not essential
>>
>>Scryer was not in this Dictionary, but this was:
>A "scryer" is one who predicts or discerns the future, who reads the
>runes, like the Greek oracles.  Someone who has "second sight."
>>
>>Scrying  -  Perceiving, by crystal-gazing.  (I think therefore that a
>>Scryer is probably a crystal-gazer!!!).
>>
>>Hope all this is of help to you.  Let me know if you need any more,
>>cos this is a wonderful old Dictionary and so interesting.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Christine
>>Cornwall, UK

>>[  info sinclair
>>[
>>[ To unsubscribe, send a message like this:
>>[
>>[           To: majordomo@zilker.net
>>[
>>[           unsubscribe sinclair
>>[
>
>--
>Jean Haddow
>[
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@jump.net.
>[  info sinclair
>[
>[ To unsubscribe, send a message like this:
>[
>[           To: majordomo@jump.net
>[
>[           unsubscribe sinclair