Re: Global location of chatee!!

-------

In message <199811140031.SAA05286@akira.aus.us.mids.org>, "John S.
Quarterman" <jsq@mids.org> writes
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>-------
>
>Jean,
>
>>Hi, I'm Jean Haddow in Scotland. I live in Kirkcaldy,in Fife, just
>>I was in London two weeks ago for my investiture at Buckingham Palace.
>>I was awarded an M.B.E in the Birthday Honours. So I met the second
>>Queen Elizabeth!  It was quite an occasion for me and i felt very
>>privileged.
>
>What was said as the reason for your M.B.E.?
>Not just everybody gets one of those....
>
>Thanks,
>John

\thanks for your good wishes - the citation was "for services to the
community in Fife". I am a non -executive Director of the Fife Health
Authority, appointed by the Secretary of State. We oversee the spending
of an annual budget of around 260 million pounds to provide health care
for the people of Fife. There's virtually no private health care in
Britain.  For most people, health care is government funded health care
and it is free at the point of delivery ( we certainly pay the taxes for
it!)
  I've also developed a local voluntary organisation that provides
respite care for adults with learning difficulties which is quite an
innovative service and which is recognised by the authorities as a model
of its kind. (This sounds very conceited, I was just in the right place
at the right time to get it going and I had the right professional
background and some influence locally because I was for some years an
elected member of what is our equivalent of your State legislature.)
 I think the award was mainly for my work in developing that respite
service and so many other people helped that I feel we ALL got the
honour.  I have tremendous pleasure from my work with our respite
service and it is certainly worth while and fun.  And it is innovative.
 My nomination for the award came, however, from the Health Authority so
it does involve work I've done there as well. So many people deserve
such an honour and don't get it and it certainly never occurred to me
that I would be following in my father's footsteps and going to the
Palace to an Investiture .
Jean

--
Jean Haddow