Re: Indentured Servants

-------

The term "indenture" was very loosely applied in the ship records.  The
term was often used simply to designate that their passage had been paid
for by someone else.  Often it was a relative who agreed to pay the passage
if they worked in their business a certain period of time and "proved"
themselves.  This was especially true in the Scottish families.  Proof of
this is most evident in Alexander of Augusta County, Virginia when he
"sponsored" his various relatives in their immigration to both Virginia and
Pennsylvania.  We believe this is the case of our Alexander of Stafford
County as there has been no recorded indenture in the court records.
Lilian Blackford has traced many of the passengers on this ship and
strangely enough a very large number of them were children.  She is now
trying to discover if the parents came first and sent for the children or
if they were orphans.  They were not from the same place so that rules out
an orphanage being involved.  Rick, the ADDENDUM to the hardbound book
explains who we believe Alexander worked for when he arrived in Virginia
and it tends to prove that it was an "understood" indenture rather than a
legally binding one.  It also explains why he became so wealthy so quickly
and why his children married into the well established families of early
America.

The term "transported" simply means that their ship passage was arranged
(not paid for) by a certain person.  The person transported received a
certain amount of acreage.  If you study these people who  were responsible
for transporting new settlers, you will clearly see that some of them were
transported more than once, hence getting large pieces of real estate via
the same person.  Illegal but apparently got away with it in some cases.
Transported does not mean a person left the mother country involuntarily or
because of a crime as some have thought.

If a person was transported for a crime, it was always noted on the
records.
Jean