Re: Starting to trace my Sinclair branch

-------

Neil--Thanks for your reply about the Sinclairs.  The Eastern Shore of
Maryland, tho, was not a Catholic, but a Quaker stronghold...The Berrys
were tobacco farmers there, and there was always a threat of warships from
across the Chesapeake Bay trying to claim the territory for the Catholic
settlement on the west side of the Cheapeake.
	 There is a story that the Sinclair who was my ancestor was later pardoned
and invited back to Caithness (or was it Inverness?) but since he had
married a farmer's daughter (albit fairly well off) believed that she would
not be accepted back there, and so stayed in theDelMarVa area.  It is
difficult without definite dates and with just family traditions to get
started on this!
	Thank you for the clue about Culloden, that may be a starting point back
in Scotland.  My family was quite proud of its roots, all my uncles and my
father were St. Andrews Society members and Masons, and some of them had
full dress kilts and the whole outfit.  However, they were not record
keepers but good storytellers.--Kay Sinclair Garrison

[
[  info sinclair
[
[