Re: Jennie

-------

Folks,

>Hi,Jennie,
>     You're forgiven from this Florida "cousin".  Aren't machines handy when
>they behave themselves?  Hope you had a pleasant holiday.  Glad to see you are
>back and on the list again.

Actually, she's not back on the list yet.  I forwarded her apology to the
list so that everyone would see she is aware of the problem.  She and I
are discussing how to prevent any recurrence.  Once we've taken care of that,
she'll be back on the list.

Meanwhile, I have forwarded her the recent letters of comment.

As to the nature of the problem, please understand that she did not
send numerous messages herself.  What she did was she used a vacation
program to inform people that she was out of town; this is a common
practice, and is generally considered a polite thing to do.

Unfortunately, the particular program she used was ill-behaved, and did
not properly note which addresses it had already informed.  Jennie was not
aware that the program had this flaw.  Most such programs do not have
this problem.

So the important point is that she didn't do anything deliberate
to cause any sort of problem; quite the contrary; she was doing
the traditional polite thing to do on being out of circulation
for a few days or weeks.  She was betrayed by the software
she was using.  This is something that could happen to any of us.

Thanks for your understanding.

John
--
John Sinclair Quarterman <jsq@mids.org>
President, Matrix Information and Directory Services (MIDS)