Re: 2 cents worth and Argyll Sinclairs

I wanted to add a couple of comments from the historical
perspective on the Argyll migrations, and Argyll
connections. When anyone is doing a search it is sometimes
useful in understanding that our ancestors lived in an
historical context as they do today. One of the interesting
perspectives on Sinclairs migrating to North America is to
attempt to spot the year or general period of migration.
This will assist in understanding the motivation and to
understand the desire of the intended location. In the
1790's to 1840's the attraction of the ability to own land
was paramount among all of the motivations. Sinclairs could
tenant farms but not own them in Argyll. This was the domain
of the Campbells and Lamonts. There was a strong movement to
get rid of the small tenancies in favour of sheep which
started dominating the rual landscape in the early 1800's.
Hence the motivations of those leaving Argyll were negative
in the sense that they were moving from their way of life
sometimes forceably, and positive in that the opportunities
economically were a strong drawing card to make the
migration.
Hope this is of interest to some of you, and moves the
picture forward a touch.
Neil Sinclair
Ancestors from Glendaruel, Kilmodon, Argyll
now Toronto, Canada