[an error occurred while processing this directive]
My Sinclair ancestor was Arthur Sinclair. According to the genealogy I have for him, his home was in Scalloway, Shetland. He was a ship owner and captain between Scotland and Virginia. I find he had two different ships. He also sealed his correspondence with his "coat of arms", yeah, that's not the right name, anyway, I have a description of it and I many years ago saw a copy in a book in the Library of Congress. I now have a CD on heraldry, among the books in "The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales". This book has the Sinclair arms and crest, thus: Baron Sincalir (St Clair), Quarterly first and fourth, az a ship at anchor, her oars erect at saltire, within a double tressure flory, counter flory or for Orkney; second and third, az a ship under sail or for Caithness, over all an escucheon or charged with a cross engrailed sa for Sinclair. Crest - a swan ar ducally gorged and chained or. Supporters, two gryphons ppr armed and beaked or. Motto: Fight I understand that the only person able to use this particular "coat of arms", is the person himself. That his sons would have theirs differentiated - Yes? I understand, that under the clan system, those of his clan would be able to wear the crest shown within a belted circle with the buckle on the bottom and the end of the belt shown tied - Yes? Would it therefore follow, that Arthur Sinclair of Scalloway, who settled at Cobham, Surry County, VA Was Baron Sinclair? Mr. Arthur Sinclair on Betsy - Bristol to VA, 28 Aug 1752; 26 Feb 1755; 29 Mar, 14 Jun, 5 Jul 1756 in each case carrying passengers Exportations skins and furs from Rappahannock District: 25 Oct 1764-25 Apr 1769 (Note from William & Mary 2W(2)196) Appointed trustee town of Cobham, 1784 (source State Papers of the Commonwealth, p 57) (from my notes) The reason for all this is an oil painting of Captain Arthur Sinclair, his son who was at the Battle of the Lakes, War of 1812. Sometimes, I feel I am chasing a ghost. This man's painting has been in my memory since I was a small child. Sally esdemio@att.net [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@mids.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html