[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Dear all: Good work John on the Amazing Grace story. Bill Moyers did a one hour special on that one song. As a piper, I often am asked to play Amazing Grace and I never tire of the wonderful response I get from playing it. Some pipers get snooty about it as it is not a challenging tune and has been played a lot over the years but if the point of making music is indeed a two way street, the listener is as important as the player. Once I was asked to play at the funeral of elder of the Ojibway nation here in Toronto. I was honoured, to say the least but the elder had said he wanted a piper so that's what was ordered. There was a communal drum also at the service and all 6 players were members of his reservation. They appeared, in ball hats and sweat pants and runners, not very trad. at all esp. as I was in full gear. One of them said as he stood beside me looking at the far wall, "Hey man, ...you play Amazing Grace" At first I didn't even know he was speaking to me but when I did, I said " Yep. Sure do". His response was "Yeah? Well so do we" Long pause. "We'll play first, then you" The service was very moving, our music was to be last, The drummers got that electrifying aboriginal thing going with the very high almost ululating singing and it was a truly amazing Amazing Grace. I got my cue and struck up and kept my eyes down and a good thing too. When I finished my 3rd go-round, I stopped and looked up and everyone in the room was a mess .... boo-hooin' all over the place. I am not sure I want that kind of control over a room.... another reason, however, never to tire of playing what you are asked because sometimes small doors lead into big rooms. Aye, Rory [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@mids.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html