[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Antonia Could it be that your Catherine Sinclair (Dunbeath) was born in 1810, and her parents were William Sinclair (b1782)and Margaret Harrow ? Regards Mark Anderson ----- Original Message ----- From: <InVeritas2@aol.com> To: <sinclair@matrix.net> Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 9:59 AM Subject: My Sinclair Connections. > Hi, > I joined the Sinclair Discussion Group yesterday and in compliance with your > 'rules', I am writing to outline my Sinclair connections. > > Although having lived in France for the last 25 years, I am New Zealand born. > My Great-grandfather Peter Sinclair CLARK, emigrated to New Zealand in the > early 1860s. He was a cooper from Lybster in Caithness and his father, > Sinclair Clark owned a fishing boat and fished out of Lybster. > Sinclair Clark's wife was Catherine SINCLAIR of Dunbeath. Catherine and > Sinclair's handsome grave is in Clyth Cemetary and is located right next to > the Clyth 'standing' stone. > > I have another Sinclair connection from Shetland. The above mentioned Peter > Clark met and married in New Zealand one Mary RUSSELL (Rusland), from > Scalloway, Shetland. Her Paternal Grandmother was one Anne SCOTT whose mother > (co-incidentally) was also a Catherine SINCLAIR. > > There is an interesting reference to this Scott family in Sir Walter Scott's > little book "The Voyage of the Pharos", which was written in diary form when > he sailed around the North and West of Scotland in 1814 with Robert > Stevenson, designer of Bell Rock Lighthouse and Grandfather to RLS. > > > > > Although our Sinclair connection came through the maternal lines, the family > has (at last count) approximately nine boys, including my Grandson, with > Sinclair as a Christian name. (Lest we forget!) > > In my family research, I have not been able to establish why my Great-great > Grandfather (born 1800), had Sinclair as a Christian name. I have concluded > that perhaps he was given it in honour of Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster, who > did so much for the community of Lybster in the late 1700s. > > Should you require further details such as dates etc, I would be happy to > provide these. > > Sincerely, > Antonia Goodland-Clark. > > [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@mids.org > [ To get off or on the list, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@mids.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html