[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Do you know whether Arthur was born in Scotland or Virginia. Also, I have seen many entries for early Sinclairs in the Cavaliers and pioneers, including some from Surry County. Have you checked out the land records there? I know that most of the state's land records were abstracted by the Spraccio family and was wondering if you had seen these? esdemio@att.net wrote: > for Robert Goff: Assuredly. What happened to those > people I quoted - I don't know. They are too early for my > branch. I put the names up hoping that someone could use > them. I am told that all Sinclairs, whether in New > England or the South are related. My branch begins by > being a sea captain between Scalloway and Virginia in mid > 1700s. There are three statements that he has a ship > "Alice" between Glasgow and Virginia. That he has a ship > "Betsy" taking furs back to Scotland and lastly that he > 'took a prize' but was never paid for it by the American > Government well after the Revolution. His claim was put > forth, but never paid. He settled in Surry Co, VA at > Cobham and was a trustee for the town. He married Suzanna > Phillips in Halifax (NS or a VA County?). He died in > Surry Co. They had at least one son, named for the father > - Arthur - This Arthur was a naval officer in the War of > 1812 and got noticed by the state of Virginia who gave > him a sword in recognition of his 'gallantry'. That sword > is now the property of the Historical Society of VA. His > son Arthur, was in the US Navy and then in the > Confederate Navy. His son Arthur, followed his father and > served where he did, including both men were on the > Confederate Raider, CSS Alabama. That makes 4 generations > and 4 Arthurs. After the "War of Rebellion" Arthur(4) > married and lived in Baltimore, MD and his son Arthur(5) > lived in New York. Arthur(4) died in 1927(?), can't > remember. In five generations, we have come from mid > 18th century to at least mid or late 20th century. I just > don't have the connection back in Scotland, which is what > I'm looking for. I do have specific info, but not here, > unless someone wants particulars. Sally > > > > sinclair-digest Friday, March 2 2001 Volume 02 : Number 423 > > [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@mids.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html