Re: Onward Christian Soliders

The more things change the more they remain the same.

They were not renegade Crusaders. They were simply  Crusaders What the
Crusaders inflicted on Moslem, Jew and Moor have shattered the Ten
Commandants Without strife the progress of man seems slow and a bit dull. In
Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder
and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the
Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love and five hundred years
of democracy and peace and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.

A few days ago it was the date of the My Lai massacre.  The chief judicial
officer of the United States was incensed at the verdict of murder against
Lt Calley and the sentence of life imprisonment commuted it. He pardoned it
No shadow of a doubt  remains that the massacre at My Lai was an atrocity,
barbaric in execution. Yet almost as chilling to  is the character of the
perpetrators. The deed was not performed by patently demented men. Instead,
according to the ample testimony of their friends and relatives, the men
who swept through My Lai were  depressingly normal Americans. They  wee
decent church going men at home.  Yet these  men in American uniforms
slaughtered the civilians of My Lai.  Much as the  Crusaders armed with the
blessing of Pope and king butchered innocents in Europe and the Holy Land.

We rewarded Crusaders with lands titles and emoluments for their atrocities.
We hung Nazis for theirs. I suppose the judge of history is who writes it.
Rarely do the losers get a forum.

As well as heroes this family took part in murder, looting, pillaging and
rape. Whilst the name Sinclair illuminates history books dark clouds shade
some pages.

Sinclair