cousin or brother

Dear One

The story of the modern Sinclair family really starts in ' The land of Heart's desire' Scotland! All of our Norman history is collective rather that family. Attributing individual deeds to St Clair, in Normandy is a bit like trying to catch a small fish is a great barrel of pasta. The history that is published in your web pages is speculation.  Educated guesses!

In the Doomsday Book no Sinclair (St. Clair) is listed.  Using Doomsday Book, it is on line, and other medieval records to prove relationships is dangerous..  It is useful to know something of the prevailing system of land tenure. In post-conquest medieval England, land was not owned, in the modern sense, by anyone but the monarch. Instead it was held by tenants, from lords (rarely ladies) in return for the obligation to perform some service. The king at the top of the heap his direct tenants (tenants in chief) beneath him, and lower still under-tenants of various sizes, down to the peasant farmers who held a few acres in return for labouring on the land of the local lord. Detailed though the Doomsday records are it is very difficult to trace a descent from a Doomsday tenant. Hereditary surnames were rare.  It's particularly important to beware of components of the name which look like surnames, but are not - although in some cases they later evolved into them. For example, the tenant of the manor of Norton might be called 'William of Norton' (or 'William de Norton' in Latin or French). If the manor changed hands, a generation later we might find the new tenant, even if completely unrelated, called Richard de Norton. Conversely, if one man held two manors, he might be described as William de Norton at one time, and William de Sutton at another Characters such as 'Thomas fitz William' can also be dangerous. Originally this was no more than a French form of 'Thomas son of William' (hence the much later selection of 'fitzRoy' as a suitable surname for the illegitimate son of a king)
.
Surnames were undeveloped in the early medieval period, the indexes of printed records and historical texts are often arranged by forename.The mainstay of the feudal system was the manor, an estate on average somewhat smaller than the parish.. Most frequently the service performed for the king by his tenants was military - in this case feudal holdings were measured as so many knights' fees, according to how many knights the holder of the land was obliged to provide. Land might also be held by serjeanty, that is by some non-military service, often in the royal household, or in the case of religious houses by free alms, that is by spiritual service.

Land held by a lord himself, rather than by his tenants, was known as demesne. The same term describes the royal estates (held by the king rather than his tenants in chief), manors held by tenants in chief rather than under-tenants, and even the part of a manor held by its lord, rather than manorial tenants.

Tenants-in-chief raised required contingent of knights by sub infeudation settled others on lands in return for military service and that could support single knight known as knight's fee (by the 12th c. estate earning (£20 annually) - economic complement was manorialism: land farmed by serfs who provided labour service in return for protection from lord of manor
The Norman Conquest brought fundamental change in nature of land holdings in Anglo Saxon England,
folk determined who owned land under feudalism, no one owned land except king (liege lord); everyone else possessed it lord's manor became a political and judicial unit at Christmas, Easter, and Whitsuntide king kept court with tenants-in--chief tenants-in-chief were William's main royal administrators feudal estates or honours became new unit of government tenant-in-chief expected his vassals to attend his honourial court

William created in England Palatinates which is  a county in which the tenant in chief exercises powers normally reserved for the king, including the exclusive right to appoint justiciar, hold courts of chancery and exchequer, and to coin money. The kings writ is not valid in a County Palatinate.

{Tenant in chief}, by the laws of England, one who holds immediately of the king. According to the feudal system, all lands in England are considered as held immediately or mediately of the king, who is styled lord paramount. Such tenants, however, are considered as having  the fee of the lands and permanent possession. After Conquest William granted fiefs (baronies) to around 170 knights (barons) who became his vassals (tenants-in-chief) vassals expected to provide military service and to pay feudal dues. pledged submission and loyalty to lord (homage and fealty) lord promised to protect and support vassal

Hereditary surnames came into common use in England only gradually in the centuries following the Norman conquest. Although some hereditary surnames, such as Bigod, de Warenne and de Vere, do occur in Domesday Book (usually they reflect the family's place of origin on the continent), they are the
exception rather than the rule, even among feudal tenants.

Scottish equivalent of the English lord or tenant in chief. Scottish lairds were not always entitled.

Sinclair

refs  John McDonald, Production Efficiency in Domesday England, 1086. London and New
York: Routledge, 1998
H. E. Bell, An Introduction to the History and Records of the Court of Wards and Liveries
(Cambridge, 1953).
J.W. Molyneux-Child, The Evolution of The English Manorial System Lewes The Book Guild
1987
J Hurstfield, The Queen's Wards, London, 1958
A.-L. Léchaudé d'Anisy and H.-J.-J.-R. de Sainte-Marie, Recherches sur le Domesday ou
Liber Censualis d'Angleterre Caen, 1842