Remembrance

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:39:31 -0000
From: "Privateers" <Privateers@privateers.org>
Subject: Re: 11 November

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day

Lest We Forget

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month the guns went
silent......

What a timely reminder.  Remembrance Events continue up to and including this
Sunday in the UK.  Those who are interested may care to visit the Royal
British Legion's website at http://mainsite.britishlegion.org.uk/poppyappeal/

I attended the opening of the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey this
morning as a member of The Royal Scots Association (for details of The Royal
Scots see http://ourworld.cs.com/RoyalsLS/).  They were Sinclair's Regiment
in 1746.  The Field was opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.  It
was a brief but moving ceremony, and each of us stood by our Regiment or
Corp's plot with their simple wooden crosses fixed with Poppies. The
traditional words were spoken:

"They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old; age shall not weary
them, not the years condemn.  At the going down of the sun, and in the
morning, we will remember them."

Equally moving, and perhaps even more meaningful today are the words to be
found on the Memorial at Kohima, in Burma, where The Royal Scots and many
others fought with remarkable distinction and determination:  "When you go
home tell them of us and say: for your tomorrow we gave our today."

We must never forget.

Yours aye

Iain Laird